INFINITY SERIES 7 PROGRAMMABLE EFI OVERVIEW
The Infinity ECU delivers state-of-the-art programmable EFI control capabilities typically found only at upper echelons of Motorsports. Through the Infinity ECU, AEM makes this technology affordable for both professional race teams and amateur racers.
200MHz Processor and Real-Time Operating System
Late model vehicle ECUâ€™s all run on faster processors. The Infinity ECU is built around a latest-generation 32-bit floating point 200MHz automotive processor and Real-Time Operating System (RTOS), which is capable of processing 400 MIPS (millions of instructions per second). By comparison, common competitive systems typically use 20MHz to 50MHz processors. To our knowledge, the Infinity ECU currently has the fastest processing speed of any aftermarket Motorsports ECU available. This allows the Infinity to do more, faster, in a more stable programming environment.
- The Infinityâ€™s 200MHz processor and RTOS makes the Infinity more responsive, for a better driving experience
- The Infinityâ€™s 200MHz processor and RTOS allows for more accurate ignition timing, which enables an engine to create more power
- The Infinityâ€™s faster processor allows it to perform more computational features with no sacrifice in processing performance
- The Infinityâ€™s RTOS ensures strategic processing with optimized load balancing. This means that tuning one feature will not affect the performance of another feature
All Infinity ECUâ€™s come fully enabled, without the need for feature add-on purchases. Combined with AEMâ€™s industry-leading after-purchase support system, including free technical support, the Infinity is the ultimate engine control solution for both professional race teams and weekend track cars.
SELECTING THE RIGHT INFINITY ECU
Infinity ECU modules are designed for maximum flexibility across many types of applications. ECU modules and harnesses are sold separately for both Supported and Plug & Play applications. Choose the ideal Infinity ECU based on your applicationâ€™s ignition and fuel injector output requirements using the Infinity Specifications Chart, and then choose between our available Plug & Play or Universal harnesses to create the Infinity solution that suits your specific needs.
SUPPORTED vs. PLUG & PLAY APPLICATIONS
The Infinity ECU delivers comparable tuning functionality regardless of application type. It is available for a wide variety of applications in two distinct forms:
- Infinity Supported applications refer to an engine family or cam/crank pattern for which the Infinity ECU has been tested and validated to run. However, certain ancillary vehicle systems (such as factory instrument clusters, automatic transmissions, and certain drive by wire throttles), may not be supported.
- The Set Up Wizard included with the InfinityTuner user interface software dramatically simplifies initial tuning configuration to help ensure successful initial startup for Supported applications.
- Wiring is required for Supported applications. AEM offers Universal wiring harnesses in several iterations and detailed application-specific wiring instructions/schematics (see Wiring Harnesses section).
Plug & Play Applications
Infinity Plug & Play applications are available for select vehicles. Plug & Play applications support a vehicleâ€™s engine and most other ancillary vehicle systems and include application-specific startup calibrations. The Infinity Plug & Play harness (sold separately) connects directly into the vehicleâ€™s factory ECU harness and requires no additional wiring.
AIRFLOW MODEL BASED CALCULATIONS
Infinityâ€™s airflow model-based systems greatly reduce the amount of time it takes to set up and tune an engine by eliminating many of the lookup and trim tables (correction tables) necessary in previous generation ECUs. The Infinityâ€™s airflow based, or volumetric efficiency (VE) based models calculate an engineâ€™s requirements in real time based on an advanced algorithm that has various modes for calculating air flow. Once the user inputs an engineâ€™s basic parameters (displacement, cylinders, ignition type, and firing order) and methods of calculation for airflow and ignition they can begin setting the engineâ€™s VE table in the software.
InfinityTuner USER INTERFACE SOFTWARE
InfinityTuner is optimized for speed and performance. The software has the power to control a multitude of features found in todayâ€™s modern racecars and features an advanced tuning Wizard to reduce set up time. An ECU Setup Wizard takes complex calibration setup work and simplifies it through a smart interface that features tabs for quick set up of vital engine functions. Each tab includes a description of the function.
InfinityTuner software is highly flexible. It allows you to choose from multiple strategies for boost control, idle control, wheel speed-based traction control, charge air temp blend, launch control and more.
All controls in the Infinity ECU are synched to logged data which allows users to edit calibration data during log playback to minimize tuning time. AEMdata, AEMâ€™s advanced data logging analysis software is also included for reviewing data logs.
ULTRA-HIGH RESOLUTION FUEL CONTROL
The Infinity ECU calculates injector pulsewidth in units of 1/10th of a microsecond (0.0000001 second). Individual cylinder fuel trim is included and user adjustable.
ACCURATE IGNITION TIMING UNDER ANY CONDITION
InfinityTuner software features a 3D ignition trim map (coolant and air temp based), and its back-end timing code is tested to 100,000 RPM. Individual cylinder ignition trim is included.
FLEX FUEL COMPENSATION
Flex fuel compatibility is included, and the Infinity is able to make automatic adjustments for ethanol content in the fuel with the addition of an ethanol content sensor (sold separately).
The Infinity has the ability to run two separate fuel types simultaneously through staged fuel injection
DRIVE BY WIRE CAPABILITY
The Infinity Series 7 ECU can control two drive by wire throttle bodies and includes auto calibration for DBW sensors. It includes idle control, an optional drive by wire rev limiter (for use as a launch limiter, holding limiter or in conjunction with other rev limiters) and necessary failsafes based on redundant sensor inputs.
The Infinity ECU uses a coolant temp based idle control model. It includes an RPM vs. Engine Speed Rate idle decel feature that provides accurate control of the IAC and allows for adjustment of engine braking. The Infinityâ€™s idle TPS offset provides smoother low idle operation when necessary, like driving in the pits or return lane following a pass.
MULTIPLE BOOST CONTROL STRATEGIES
Choose from time, gear, vehicle speed, switch-based or other boost control strategies. The Infinityâ€™s boost control includes two 2D base duty tables and two 2D boost target tables. The second tables can be used as a trim, and users can choose from multiple strategies including IAT, MAP, Baro (kpa), throttle %, flex fuel content, boost target and more. Please visit our Forum for an in-depth review of the Infinityâ€™s boost control capabilities.
The Infinityâ€™s software allows you to run a single-stage wet or dry nitrous set up (four-stage available soon). This feature includes nitrous timing delay to account for nitrous bleed out and can be set up for water/methanol injection tuning. Four stage nitrous will be upgraded for free for existing Infinity users when it becomes available.
VARIABLE VALVE CAM CONTROL
Set base duty, limit and VVC cam target for up to four cams through the InfinityTuner Wizard. Users are able to achieve a VVC cam target by setting Cam 1 base timing and base duty cycle % in a 2D table, and the software features a 1D base duty % table that controls the base duty cycle for the VVC output, which is tunable based on the VVC target.
The Infinity includes up to four separate ignition maps, four separate Lambda maps and two separate VE maps with independent values. Using AEMâ€™s 12 Position Trim Pot, this powerful feature delivers many valuable tuning options including:
- Multiple maps for multiple track conditions (practice map, rain map, qualifying map, FTW map)
- Change boost target
- Change Lambda target
- Change ignition target
- Tie boost, Lambda and ignition targets together and change them all
- Ideal for test mapping during tuning
- Change boost base duty
- Control PWM switches (like water/methanol injection)
- Choose between 2 VE tables for VVC or when restrictors are in place
- Blend between flex fuel ignition maps
- Blend by cam position and gear
Multiple engine protection strategies are incorporated into the Infinity ECU. Available strategies include:
- MAP (create limp mode using Assumed Pressure Ratio table to compensate for pressure if sensor fails)
- Overboost (boost fuel cut until boost/throttle decreases)
- Fuel pressure (injector flow compensated for variations in pressure, sensor required)
- Oil pressure (trigger light or limit RPM if pressure drops below set value, sensor required)
- RPM (rev limiter)
- Coolant temperature, Temp vs. RPM (fuel and ignition cut, sensor required)
- Knock control with feedback
- Lean protection (fuel and ignition cut)
REAL-TIME ADVANCED DIAGNOSTICS
The Infinityâ€™s diagnostics software can be configured to constantly monitor signal and current quality to alert the user of a potential issue before it creates the potential for engine damage.
INTERNAL WIDEBAND CONTROLLER
Dual Bosch wideband controllers are built into Infinity Series 7 ECUs. This provides highly accurate closed-loop AFR targeting and enables the sensor diagnostics in the ECU to determine the operational condition of the sensor.
LIGHTNING-FAST DATA LOGGING
Infinityâ€™s logging feature supports 2 different file systems. A custom file system option will support 100 channels at up to 1 KHz using a high-performance USB flash drive (sold separately). A standard FAT file system will support 10 channels at up to 1KHz, 20 channels at up to 500Hz or 100 channels at up to 200Hz. The Infinity includes a 4GB USB memory stick and the user can replace this with up to 64GB. Additionally, the user can also log directly to the PC at up to 500Hz when connected.
AEMdata DATA ANALYSIS SOFTWARE
AEMdataprovides an advanced interface for viewing the log files generated by the Infinity ECU.
DUAL KNOCK SENSING
Dual knock signal conditioning circuits allow for precise measurements of knock levels. The Infinity can utilize both Piezoelectric and Flat Response type knock sensors.
The Infinity ECU is constructed using automotive-rated components designed to withstand the harshest racing environments. Its enclosure and connectors are sealed to make it suitable for engine bay mounting. An advanced wear-leveling strategy for flash memory ensures a lifetime of reliable performance.
The Infinity ECU is able to transfer data via USB at up to 480 Mb/second. It features a fully-sealed IP67 communications connection system.
Infinity is AEMnet enabled and will communicate with another AEMnet-equipped device. It is able to output to 3rd party dash/logger devices (not all 3rd party dash/logger devices may be supported). Call AEM technical support at (310) 484-2322 for more information.
INFINITY ECU ADVANCED TUNING PACKAGE
Certain Advanced Tuning functions, hardware outputs, and sensor inputs are available for the Infinity Programmable ECU. The Infinity ECU's Advanced Tuning Package is available at no charge for a limited time. Please contact an Authorized AEM dealer or call AEM Performance Electronics at (310) 484-2322 for more info.
INFINITY SERIES 7 EMS CAPABILITIES:
- Airflow model based calculations
- VE-based engine startup
- Multi-fuel capable
- Flex fuel compensated â€“ fuel, ignition and boost with blend
- Multiple boost control strategies (time, gear, vehicle speed, switch and more)
- Drive by wire control (dual H-bridge channels)
- 2-step and 3-step programmable launch control
- Anti-lag and rolling anti-lag
- Programmable traction control, up to 4-wheel speed
- No-lift shift
- User configurable soft-cut rev limiters
- User configurable anti-lag
- Map switching (4 Separate ignition maps, 4 separate Lambda target maps, 2 separate VE tables)
- Single stage wet or dry nitrous control
- Integrated engine protection strategies
- Target Lambda table, 10x10
- Open-loop fuel pressure compensation
- O2 lean-out protection
- 2-channel adaptive knock control
- Configurable coil dwell (RPM, voltage and load based)
- Individual cylinder ignition trim (RPM based)
- Individual cylinder fuel trim (RPM based)
- 3D ignition trim maps (coolant and air temp)
- Real-time sensor diagnostics
- Ignition table, 20x20
- VE airflow table, map vs. engine speed, 20x20
- User adjustable charge temperature blend (CLT/AIT, engine speed dependent)
- Idle control (stepper and pulsewidth)
Each Infinity ECU includes ignition coil outputs and injector drivers equivalent to its name. The Infinityâ€™s airflow-based tuning models simplify startup and speed up the tuning process by eliminating many of the lookup and trim tables (Correction Tables) necessary in previous generation ECUs. For a limited time, all Infinity systems come fully enabled without the need for feature add-on purchases. Combined with AEMâ€™s industry-leading after-purchase support system, including free technical support, the Infinity is the ultimate engine control solution for both professional race teams and weekend track cars.
- Airflow model based (VE) tuning
- ECU Set Up Wizard simplifies start up
- Flex fuel compatible
- Multi fuel capable
- Drive by wire
- Variable valve control
- Multiple boost control strategies
- Nitrous control
- Wheel speed-based traction control
- Map switching
- Dual internal Lambda controllers
- Dual knock sensing circuits
- Data logging up to 64GB, up to 100 channels at 1KHz
- Outputs to 3rd party dashes and data loggers
- Industry leading data transfer speed (up to 480Mb/sec)
- Integrated engine protection strategies
- Sealed enclosure and IP67 rated comms ports
Ask an expert
Not sure if the product will suit your car? Fill in the form and one of our team members will get back to you shortly.
IN A HURRY? CALL US ON (07) 2111 7466
If you find a cheaper price on this item elsewhere we will try match the price or even beat it if possible!
Note: price must be in AUD. Conditions apply